SIECUS is a 40-year-old nonprofit organization dedicated to affirming that sexuality is a natural and healthy part of life. SIECUS develops, collects, and disseminates information, promotes comprehensive education, and advocates for the right of individuals to make responsible sexual choices.
The SIECUS public policy office, located in Washington, DC, is committed to promoting comprehensive sexuality education and sexual and reproductive rights as well as fighting censorship, and discrimination based on gender, age, or sexual orientation.
About the Position:
Summary: The Public Policy Associate will work closely with the Vice President for Public Policy to play an integral role in developing and implementing SIECUS’ federal- based work. The Public Policy Associate must be able to think creatively, maintain good relationships with a multitude of groups, and work independently. Position requires ability to work with limited supervision as well as strong public speaking and writing skills.
Supervisor: Vice President for Public Policy
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Serve as vital member of SIECUS’ public policy staff and work collaboratively as a member of a team.
- Monitor and analyze federal legislative, administrative, and judicial activities in identified policy areas including making recommendations for action.
- In collaboration with the Vice President for Public Policy, develop and implement policymaker education strategies to further SIECUS’ policy priorities.
- Responsible for building and maintaining strategic and ongoing relationships with selected elected officials, their staff, and colleague organizations.
- Represent SIECUS at relevant meetings and promote SIECUS’ positions and policy priorities to Congress, the Administration, government agencies, and colleague organizations.
- Provide technical assistance to partners to further SIECUS’ policy goals and priorities.
- Develop resource and education materials that promote sexual and reproductive health and rights, including monthly policy updates, targeted fact sheets, and issue briefs.
- Conduct speeches and training workshops on advocacy and sexuality-related issues.
- Perform other duties as assigned or required.
- Bachelor’s Degree, Master’s Degree preferred
- At least two years experience in public policy work (preferably around reproductive and sexual health) or equivalent experience in a related area, Capitol Hill experience strongly preferred
- Understanding of the legislative process and the ability to access and research legislative data/ information
- Strong writing, verbal, and research skills
- Ability to think creatively, maintain good relationships with a multitude of groups, and work independently
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Exceptional organization skills
- Strong interest in and commitment to advocating for sexual and reproductive health
- Must be a team player
Salary: Commensurate with experience
To apply, please submit the following:
- A cover letter that expresses your interest in working for SIECUS
- A current resume
- A writing sample
- Three references
To Apply: Applicants should send materials to:
Public Policy Associate Search
1706 R Street, N.W.
Washington, DC 20009
Fax: (202) 462-2340
SIECUS is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of sex, gender, race, age, disability, gender identity, or sexual orientation.
No Phone Calls Please!